Spring is here and we at J&D Landscaping & Lawn Care, Inc., a leader in Rhode Island lawn care, have advice for homeowners as they break out their lawnmowers and get their property in shape.
Common lawn care mistakes
• Overwatering: applying too much water contributes to poor rooting and thatch accumulation. This could lead to disease problems.
• Underwatering: your grass plant is composed of 90 percent water. Any change in this water composition rapidly puts the lawn under stress, resulting in a shallow root system and thinning turf. One to 1.5 inches of water needs to be applied, all at one time, three to four times per week.
• Improper mowing height: raising the mowing height can improve the health of your root system and increase density, reducing week seed germination rates. A good mowing height is 2.5 to 3 inches.
• Lack of sunlight: if the lawn has too much shade, the grass will not be efficient at developing food or roots, and will become notably thin. Pruning trees to increase sunlight in conjunction with a shade tolerant seeding program is the best solution.
Spring is the best time to improve turf density:
• Core aeration: over time your soil naturally becomes compacted, leaving the subsoil undesirable for healthy lawn growth. Walking, playing, mowing and watering compacts particles and reduces the air space necessary for root growth. Compaction is greatest in the upper 1 to 1.5 inches of soil and needs to be relieved by mechanical aeration. This mechanical process plugs 2- to 3-inch deep, finger-size holes into the soil to improve the air, water and nutrient exchange with your roots.
• Overseeding: periodic seeding is a routine maintenance service that is necessary to improve turf density. Further favor germination rates by improving seed to soil contact with an overseeding that immediately follows the aeration.
• Spring pruning: optimize your tree and shrub health, structure and beauty with pruning by our certified arborist staff. We can beautify both conifer and deciduous shrubs. Pruning makes for a healthier plant, improves appearance and encourages development.
• Replenish nutrients for spring growth: build healthier, more beautiful trees and shrubs with our seasonally timed pressure-injected deep root fertilizer. Our scheduled feedings will stimulate growth, improve leaf size and thickness, enhance color and aid in root development.
J&D Landscaping & Lawn Care Inc. is located at 186 Jefferson Road in Harrisville. For more information, call 567-8974, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.jdhomecare.com.